Sangria is like the casserole of alcoholic beverages – toss in whatever mixture of fruit, liquor, and wine appeals to you, and it’s pretty certain to turn out okay. And since the whole point of sangria is to make cheap wine palatable, you don’t even have to worry about using good stuff. This is where those $5 jugs of wine come in handy. The fruit and sugar come together with the wine and do a little dance, and become delicious.
I think there are a couple ways to serve this, but it all depends on how you want to end up:
- Fill glasses with ice and a slice of fresh orange, then fill about 2/3 with sangria. Top off with lemon-lime soda for some nice sparkle, and a reasonable drink.
- Serve chilled (but no ice) in wine glasses with just a bit of fresh fruit for garnish.
Of course, the problem with Option #2 is that sangria tastes a lot like fruit punch (which is to say it doesn’t taste at all like an alcoholic beverage). So if you don’t take it easy, you might end up girl drink drunk, and dancing on a table to Biggie Smalls. Which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. If you want to be girl drink drunk, dancing on a table to Biggie Smalls, then have at it.
2 cups strawberries, cored and sliced
5 to 6 cups seedless watermelon, cut into chunks (about ½ of a large melon)
1 large orange sliced
1/4 cup sugar
1 large palmful of mint leaves, roughly torn
1.5L bottle (or 2 75ml bottles) of white wine
1 cup brandy
1 cup peach schnapps
1/4 cup orange liqueur
1lb peaches, peeled and chopped (frozen is fine)
1 large apple, cut into chunks
1 cup peach nectar
Lemon-lime soda or seltzer water, for serving (optional)
- In a large stock pot, combine the watermelon, strawberries, orange, mint, and sugar. Work the fruit together with a potato masher. You want to break down the fruit a bit and work the sugar and mint into the fruit, but still leave it pretty chunky.
- Add the peaches, apples, nectar, liquors, and wine. Stir to combine, and cover. Refrigerate for several hours, or overnight.
- Strain into a pitcher and serve with plenty of ice, fresh fruit, and soda, if desired.